ME

ME

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Who do I Admire?

 At almost 18 months old my Grandpas was diagnosed with Poliomyelitis (Polio) in 1935. He had caught polio before a vacine it was not until in the 1950's. Polio is a virus that is very contagious and can lead to paralysis, breathing issues, or death. The Polio affected my Grandpa's right leg, causing partial paralysis in his muscles. His right leg did not fully develop and is 2 inches shorter than his left leg. So he could walk Grandpa had to get a brace on his right leg. My Grandpa was treated by the famous Nurse Sister Kenny. My Grandpa is Persistent and Risk-taking.


I admire my Grandpa because even though he had Polio he never let that him stop it from doing anything he wanted to do. Even though he only had full use of one leg he taught himself to swim and represented the school swim team. At the age of 73 he came and visited my family and I when we were living in Switzerland, he flew all the way from Australia just to visit us. This took a lot of work to get there, but he made it in one piece. Buy this time he had a scooter to travel long distances. At the age of 78 he started going to his local gym. He never gave up. I think this is an important lesson to learn in life. That we should never give up if you really want something. 



No comments:

Post a Comment